First of all, we’d like to welcome all of our new players and thank everyone for their feedback over the past couple of days. A number of key issues relating to the difficulty of the game in some areas have been raised and today’s update is geared towards addressing those.
Enemy Fleet Scaling
The main issue that people have been facing is how the game scales – in particular, the size, strength and composition of enemy fleets. This issue was particularly problematic against smaller player fleets and nearer the start of the game.
We’ve made a number of changes today to help soften the difficulty curve at the start of the game – in particular to reduce the occurrences of extreme situations (too much incoming burst damage, too many enemies, defend / escort targets dying too quickly):
- Changed the scaling formula to spawn less ships vs smaller player fleets.
- Reduced the hull health of pirate fleets.
- Skimmed off some of the high number fleets from pirate spawns.
- Increased the amount of damage defence and escort objectives can take.
- Added a more ‘damage resistant’ tech ship to Defend missions, to assist in its survivability.
- Reduced the chance of specialist ships spawning (Lancer, Tech, Rogue).
- Increased the chance of Gunships being spawned in enemy fleets.
- BF Torpedo has had its charge time increased from 5 seconds to 10 seconds.
- Reduced the number of drones that spawn in the opening battle.
Another issue that contributed to problems occurring was a slight imbalance in the loot system – i.e. not quite enough credits to upgrade or buy new ships. Today’s patch changes:
- Increased the rate that credits and experience earned from battle increase over the course of the game.
- Increased starting credits from 30000 to 40000.
- Ion Bomb now reduces shields correctly.
- EMP Bomb now reduces energy correctly.
- Correct unlock rank for each skill socket in the Fleet Browser is now displayed.
- Can no longer right-click target enemy ships that are hidden in the Fog of War.
- Mouse cursor will not change when hovering over enemy ships that are hidden in the Fog of War.
- Can perform a drag select when the initial mouse down occurs over a ship.
- All Dreadnought hull and shield stats can now fit in the Fleet Browser window.
- Marginal changes to the Mending Pulse and Sustained Mending Pulse VFX.
- Fixed minor bug where ShipStateStop could try to stop static ships.
- Fixed spelling errors present in ItemEvent3 and ShopEvent42.
Although we’re no longer in Early Access, we’re fully committed to continuing to improve the game and would very much appreciate any feedback you have to offer. Drop by the forums and let us know what you think.