Reporting to the Creative Director for Games, the Lead Designer ensures a game development team understands exactly what it is they have to build, while involving them in the creative and iterative process of the design itself. The Lead Designer must also support a team of designers in their day-to-day work, while feeding into the project management and business requirements of our titles. Along with the rest of the team, they are responsible for shipping titles on time, to budget, to an agreed level of quality. He/she needs to be self-motivated and highly organised, possessing a high level of design ability coupled with strong people and management skills.
- Lead by example in terms of personability, productivity, enthusiasm, and professionalism.
- Manage a Design team within a support-based (‘Inverted Pyramid’) management environment.
- Work collaboratively with other designers and team members to design games that meet team, project, and business goals.
- Manage the creation of ‘just enough’ design material to support project definition, scope, visualisation, and prioritization.
- Be a driving force for creativity, while also encouraging it in others.
- Get the best out of the whole team: encouraging input, appropriately distributing responsibility, and supporting individual developers in their work.
- Work with executive management and other development leads to develop and maintain each game’s scope, schedule, and resource plans.
- Assist in helping to anticipate, identify, manage and resolve any risks.
- Input into project planning and task tracking using project management tools like Jira.
- Work with the team to set agile goals, assisting in their ongoing prioritisation.
- Assist in ensuring there is appropriate project visibility and reporting for business management, investors, and other stakeholders.
- Give ongoing critical reviews of games in production, providing detailed feedback on direction and ideas for improvement.
- Develop and involve others in early product visualisation.
- Work closely with all disciplines, iteratively experimenting and balancing the core game experience.
- Ensure that player feedback is reviewed and, where appropriate, implemented in post-launch updates.
- Manage and mentor junior staff, developing them as professionals.
- Continue to develop knowledge and skills relevant to the position, keeping current with the latest trends in Game Design and games in general.
- At least 2-3 shipped titles, with 7+ years’ experience as a games designer (2+ as a Lead, or significant experience as a Senior Designer).
- Ability to design good games that can be made in-time and to budget.
- Performing effectively under pressure and meeting deadlines to ensure the game is completed on time and to the high standards expected.
- Previous hands-on experience managing Design teams.
- A degree in a technical or creative art (especially computer science) or significant relevant experience.
- A thorough understanding of the game development process and managing creativity.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong experience of a wide range of game engines, editors and scripting systems.
- A solid knowledge of and appreciation for game code production.
- Excellent people skills, with an ego-less approach to collaboration.
- Working flexibly within the role.
- A background in game code production.
- Mobile (iOS/Android) game development experience.
- Experience with engines such as Unity, Unreal, CryEngine.
- Experience with Agile/Scrum development.
- Social or multiplayer game design experience.
- Modding, level-design or game scripting experience.
- Artistic, Illustration or UI design experience.
- Working knowledge of Excel, Powerpoint, Photoshop, Illustrator, Visio, SketchUp.
- Ability to write narrative fiction or journalistic prose.
- An online social presence
Send us your CV and tell us why you’re the one for this role!
NO AGENCIES PLEASE!